This is a place to share my discoveries as I learn how to tame the bounty of my backyard and live as a food-loving, non-“foodie” here in Northern California.
The Bay area is not much different from DC in that people place a lot of significance on where/in which neighborhood one lives. DC folks know what I am talking about. We chose our Oakland neighborhood without regard to first impressions though. We chose it for function. We chose it for the private backyard organic orchard with quick access to garden & canning advisors next door. We chose it for all the potential this small space of land offered; new discovery, new skills, new lifestyle. But this doesn’t translate well in introductory conversations. Our neighborhood doesn’t have any cool coffee shops or hip restaurants; in fact, it doesn’t have any business at all. In addition, I think we may be the youngest people on our block (if you don’t count that middle-school kid on a scooter from the other day). So, when people ask me where I live, there’s an inevitable awkward pause after I tell them. This is followed by a squinty, quizzical expression as they try to picture our spot on a map and respond politely. Sure, it’s not Jack London Square, or Rockridge, or Montclair. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And what I see out my back window is gorgeous.
No comments:
Post a Comment